Monday, December 7, 2009

Visiting Yûko-sensei's Grave


(image: Fujima Yûko dancing Kiyomoto no Yamamba, date unknown...but probably about 1980) 


I went to pay my respects to my first nihon buyoh teacher, Fujima Yûko 藤間由子(1929-2002).  She is the one who granted me my natori (professional) name, Fujima Sayû 藤間左由.  The "fujima" part of the name indicates the "ryû" which means school or tradition. All natori of the Fujima-ryû have the same "family" name.  The "yu" part of my "given" name comes from my teacher's name, so that the artistic lineage can be easily recognized.  The "sa" part was an individual choice. Yûko-sensei created the name, and when it came time to have the natori ceremony, we had to apply to the school head office to make sure it was available and appropriate.

Everytime I am in Tokyo I visit her grave, bringing flowers andan offering of a small can of beer.  Yûko-sensei loved beer!  She was an incredible dancer, a generous teacher and I miss her deperately. She began her lessons when she was only 4 years old, so had been dancing for over 70 years when she passed away.

She was absolutely open to teaching a non-Japanese, and in fact had started a group called "The Japan Cross Culture Association" to be able to perfrom at embassies in Japan, and to do workshops and performances abroad.  She didn't speak a word of any language but Japanese, but was the ultimate communicator through her heart and spirit.  I hope I can carry her spirit with me wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your questions and feedback on TomoeArts and on nihon buyoh.